Thursday, April 22, 2010

A post for comments!

Josh:

Hello everyone! For some reason it wasn't allowing me to comment on my own blog so I changed the settings so now I am allowed to (finally). I figured since my comments would be fairly long by themselves it would be easier for me just to make a quick blog post instead.

Everyone - Thank you guys for the wonderful comments, messages and love. I truly appreciate it.

Katie - Ah, that makes sense, says I. That seems a little pointless to wait four months and the other part is really lame. Another side note for you, there was a time here when Audrey was "Katie dancing" and we thought of you. Also, I'm listening to "Stand Out" right now. I love that movie.

Wu - No picture. As for the trash, yeah they brought everything over. I guess when Ms. Kim said bring it all over they took her literally and even brought the trash. We got your duck eggs man!

Overall note on second to last post: I have received multiple messages requesting I don't do anything next time I see physical punishment of that caliber. Of course I understand I am a guest in the country and I don't assume a moral superiority to them at all. I try to stay as worthy of staying in the country as much as possible. I have seen other kids get hit (of course) and it was nothing like this last one; I assure you, it was full of rage and malice. These other ones where the kids got hit I simply shrugged and moved on because it was done as punishment, not as a vent session. So, no, I would not directly do anything (and of course hurt his "face") but I would ask if that man is how they want their school the be represented to the outside (not only the country but the world too). I don't know if anybody remembers but there was a big news story about how a teacher in Korea gave bruises on a girl's arm. I assure you that these kids had more than bruises (most likely cuts) and it wasn't on their arm but on their backs and shoulders. Since this hasn't happened again I haven't been placed in a situation where my ideas of human safety and my respect of a culture haven't been in conflict and I sincerely hope I won't ever have to walk that fine line. I truly appreciate the concern because these messages are coming from a place of genuine interest for me because you don't want me to get kicked out of the country because I opened my mouth about something that I'm not used to. Thank you to everyone who has sent me messages or gave me advice. I do request that you please trust my judgement as an intelligent and articulate adult that what I saw was indeed out of line (even to Koreans) and if/when I speak about this issue it will be done with utmost sensitivity and care.

The last post: Dude, of course I wouldn't do it. The idea of it just tickles me pink. It seems like VCDs are the way to go then. They were less than four dollars! That's awesome. As for video games, since we haven't gotten paid yet I have tried to avoid video game stores like the plague because I know I will find some crazy game that is only available in Korea and I will want it. I don't have any game systems here except for my PSP which the folks back home were nice enough to ship to me. I'll shoot you an email and picture if I find any "rare" games that you might like. Also, I looked up red panda on Google and they awesome!

Thanks again, everybody! We love to receive comments so please keep them coming. Feel free to ask for clarifications (I tend to write a lot so I don't know if that would be necessary) or just to say "Hi" because it helps let us know there at people back at home watching for us.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you would actually abuse your position of influence, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to remind you in addition to planting an "I told you so" just in case I needed it for the future or in case Korea had brought out your inner super villain, hehheh. Anyways, PSP games from Korea work on your PSP, I've bought a few over the years. DS will too, they aren't region locked, you know... info for when you do get paid and have some extra spending Won. I'm tired, you two get a robot smile, stay toasty. =]

    ReplyDelete